- WWE Booking Killing Viewership
- Why the NHL should revert its Playoff Format
- The Redskins Land the Steal of the First Round in Jonathan Allen
- Toyota Owners 400 at Richmond Race Preview
- Haason Reddick Selected 13th Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- DeShaun Watson Selected 12th Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- Corey Davis Selected Fifth Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- Mitch Trubisky Selected With Second Overall Pick by the Chicago Bears
- Payback 2017 Preview
- Babcock, McLellan, Tortorella named Jack Adams Award Finalists
Messi’s Trial For Tax Fraud May Interfere With Copa America
- Updated: January 20, 2016
Barcelona, Spain – The trial of Argentinian Lionel Messi and his father Jorge Messi for tax fraud is set for May 31 at a court in Barcelona, a regional court said Wednesday.
The Barcelona astro, and his father, have been charged with tax fraud for allegedly failing to declare 4.16 million Euros ($4.69 million) in taxes related to his image rights between 2007 and 2009.
The recently crowned Ballon d’Or is no stranger to this accusations, last month the pair were cleared of separate allegations relating to charitable friendlies played in 2012 and 2013 after a judge heard testimony from an Argentine businessman who organised the matches. The player had been investigated in that case to see if he had failed to declare to the tax man any revenue made from taking part in a series of friendlies in Mexico, Colombia, the United States and Peru.
However, the accusations and court dates have never gotten in the way of his participation with his club Barcelona or with the national club, Argentina.
The trial is set to run until June 3 and the State prosecutors are asking for both men to be sentenced to prison terms. This causing an interference with his schedule appearances with the national team which is set to participate in Copa America Centenario in US soil for the first time ever.
According to the court notice, the trial dates can be modified if this interferes with other cases. We will await to hear further from Messi’s bunker regarding the topic.