- WWE Booking Killing Viewership
- Why the NHL should revert its Playoff Format
- The Redskins Land the Steal of the First Round in Jonathan Allen
- Toyota Owners 400 at Richmond Race Preview
- Haason Reddick Selected 13th Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- DeShaun Watson Selected 12th Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- Corey Davis Selected Fifth Overall In The 2017 NFL Draft
- Mitch Trubisky Selected With Second Overall Pick by the Chicago Bears
- Payback 2017 Preview
- Babcock, McLellan, Tortorella named Jack Adams Award Finalists
Browns Sign Robert Griffin III
- Updated: March 24, 2016
Quarterback Inks Two-Year Deal with Cleveland
CLEVELAND-The Cleveland Browns have been looking for a franchise quarterback for the last decade, if not longer. They believed Johnny Manziel was possibly the answer, but that experiment failed badly. Now, they’re going to take their chance with another mobile quarterback that attended a Texas university.
The Browns signed Robert Griffin III to a two-year deal on Thursday, possibly to become the number one quarterback on the team’s depth chart.
Griffin, who was drafted by the Washington Redskins as the second overall pick in 2012, was released by Washington earlier this month. Late last week, he met with Browns head coach Hue Jackson and associate head coach Pep Hamilton and that meeting was enough for both sides to come to an agreement on Griffin joining Cleveland.
The 26-year-old former University of Baylor star is coming a dreadful end to his time in Washington. After taking the Redskins to the NFC East title and playoffs in his rookie year, problems with the coaching arose that off-season. It also didn’t help that Griffin tore his ACL during the 2012 playoffs.
In 2013, Griffin played in 13 games, but was nowhere near as productive as he was in 2012. The Redskins got a new coaching staff in 2014, but that didn’t help Griffin, as he struggled that season and only saw action in nine games. In the training camp leading up to the 2015 season, he lost his starting job, was made the team’s third string quarterback, and was active for only one game. All that eventually led to his release this off-season.
The Browns will visit Washington this season, but it is yet unknown who will be behind center when the teams meet. Despite the Griffin signing, coach Jackson stated that his team has not ruled drafting a quarterback with the number two pick at this year’s draft if he’s the best player available.
Photo Credit: via photopin.com