- TRANSFER NEWS: Lacazette, Rooney, Griezmann, Lukaku, Bakayoko
- English Premier League: What Difference Has Changing Managers Had This Season?
- Germany vs England: Can England Win Again On German Soil?
- Marshawn Lynch: A Return to the Raiders
- World Baseball Classic: USA vs Puerto Rico Finals Preview
- NFL Draft Scouting Report: Joe Mixon
- Bastian Schweinsteiger is to join Chicago Fire
- Manchester United Close Gap On Top 4
- Ryan Newman Wins Camping World 500
- Washington Capitals Clinch Playoff Berth
Defoe Recalled As Captain Rooney Misses Out.
- Updated: March 17, 2017
London, England- Gareth Southgate has recalled Jermain Defoe to the England squad. Defoe’s last cap came in November 2013 against Chile. Defoe will be apart of the squad to face Germany and Lithuania. Since the beginning of last season, Defoe has scored 29 goals in 60 games in the league for relegation battling Sunderland. That’s 19 more goals then the man he is replacing, England captain Wayne Rooney.
Jermaine Jenas said recently on BBC Five Live that Defoe is ,“as sharp as he’s ever been”.
Gareth Southgate claims the decision to leave Captain Rooney out is simply due to his lack of playing time at Man United. Rooney has only started 4 games since the start of 2017. Southgate stated this was ultimately the reason he made his decision, “coupled with the fact he’s really not had a lot of game time recently, and others have in that area of the pitch, has sort of determined my decision on that one.”.
Rooney will now pass the torch to Marcus Rashford. His United team-mate is another surprise to the squad to play Germany and Lithuania.
Luke Shaw returns to the England squad after his long layoff with injury. There is two new faces in the senior squad as both James-Ward Prowse and Nathan Redmond have been called up. Jake Livermore, capped just once before back in 2012, is another new face to the England fold. England will face Germany in a friendly in Dortmund on March 22nd before their World Cup Qualifier against Lithuania on March 26th.