Tha Sports Junkies 101

Silly Season Roundup 11/24-11/27: Cassill, McDowell Staying, GOFAS Cleaning House


Thanksgiving weekend has passed up, and there was no silence in NASCAR news during the holiday weekend. Two drivers reached deals, while a team parts ways with two of it’s drivers. Here’s the lowdown of what silly season offered over the weekend.

Landon Cassill Staying At Front Row Motorsports: After an unprecedented 2016 season for Front Row Motorsports, the team will be keeping at least one of it’s drivers for 2017. Landon Cassill reached a deal to drive the 38 car for the team for a second season.  The 27-year-old has competed full-time in the NASCAR Cup Series for the past six seasons, finishing a career-high 29th in the championship standings in last season. Cassill had a career-high seven top-20 finishes in 2016, and let a career high 20 laps at the Bristol spring race. Sponsorship isn’t 100% yet, but expect Snap Fitness to be back in some form.

Shop for 2016 Darlington Raceway fan gear at

Michael McDowell Gets Another Season At Leavine Family Racing: What’s better than closing your season out with a top 10 finish? Having a secure future, and that’s what Michael McDowell will have in 2017 with Leavine Family Racing. Despite rumors of Ty Dillon driving the 95 full time (He would sign on to drive the #13 GEICO Chevy for Germain Racing Monday), McDowell will continue to drive for the team full time in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Thrivent Financial will not will not return as the primary sponsor, so sponsorship is on the negative side for the team.

Bobby Labonte, Jefferey Earnhardt Not Returning To GOFAS Racing: In a effort to finally have one driver run all the races for the single car operation, Bobby Labonte and Jefferey Earnhardt will not return to the GOFAS Racing team next season. Jefferey Earnhardt ran for NASCAR Sprint CUP Rookie of the Year in 2016, while 2000 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Bobby Labonte ran the Superspeedway races. “Jeffrey won’t be back,” owner Archie St. Hilaire said last week. “We really want to focus on one driver for the year. We’re talking to several parties, but that’s our goal. We’ve been doing this for four years with multiple drivers. Our goal is to find one driver. If we have to, we’ll find two, but not four or five. It’s time to move the program up.” Primary sponsor Can-Am already announced an extension deal of 13 races for the next two seasons, but C&J Energy Services will not return as a sponsor after the company owner’s death earlier in the year.

Update On 2nd JTG Racing Entry: Despite rumors of Roush Fenway Racing “leasing” Chris Buescher for the 2017 season to a new entry, JTG Racing owner Tad Geschickter says nothing is done yet as far as plans for second JTG car next year in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.